ALL ROADS LEAD TO RORKE’S DRIFT HOTEL . . . The two tar roads on either side of the location are the R33 and the R68 that run South and East from Dundee respectively. Depending on where you are coming from, there are several options to minimise the distance and to have a scenic and enjoyable journey. [NB we are the HOTEL and not the Lodge which is somewhere else]
1. From Gauteng and the North-West; two options:- Take the N3 South to Ladysmith and then on the N11/R602 to Dundee OR leave the N3 after the Vaal Engen stop; take the R103 & R34 past Vrede and Memel to Newcastle; then N11 South towards Ladysmith. Take the R68 left to Dundee – where you:-
C: Take the R33 to Vryheid –straight down Victoria street and past Talana Museum as you leave town; right after 3km signed R68 Isandlwana & Nqutu; 20km you will see the sign to Rorke’s Drift 22km to the right (if you cross the river you have missed it). This gravel road has a well signed T going left to us and then after 10mins approaching Rorke’s Drift ‘village’ and the distinctive Shiyane mountain you will see – A: the left turn to Isandlwana indicated; take this road and after 500m you will see the signed drive to the hotel on your right (if you cross the river you have missed it).
2. From Vryheid, as you approach Dundee on the R33, and some 5km short of the town, take the left turn to Nqutu on the R68. After 22 km you will see signed Rorke’s Drift to the right. After 10 mins go left as indicated and after a further 10 mins you will see – as
3. From The Central and N Drakensberg head for Ladysmith and through the town (better to pass up Murchison Street; take the first left after crossing the Klip River) and onto the N11 towards Newcastle and then right on the R602 to Glencoe and Dundee. The Dundee route is popular and refer to C. A more scenic route is to take the Helpmekaar Road at the robot as you leave the town and pass the tyre factory etc. Do not deviate from this road (40 mins) and you will arrive at the Helpmekaar ridge where you go left, and after about 1.7km take the right turn to Camp Buffalo and follow the P190 past Elandsheim and through Rorke’s Drift to the right turn to Isandlwana and the Hotel. Alternatively go on to Helpmekaar marked Rorke’s Drift per E.
E: Alternatively go on 6km to Helpmekaar & take the right turn marked Rorke’s Drift. You will descend Knostrop Pass (rocky; go slow; you need a good ground clearance) to the Buffalo valley and RD is signed Rt and follow – A
4. From the King ShakaAirport, Elephant Coast, Hluhulwe etc, head for Melmoth, take the R68 to Babanango and towards Nqutu. [Beware the right turn of this main road 20km N of Melmoth or you will end up on gravel going to Nkandla]. The shortest route is to take the Left signed to Isandlwana and the hill is visible from the tar road. Pass the battlefield (or visit!) and then after 8km take the left turn down the hill (sign to the Hotel) to Rorke’s Drift which will lead you across the Batsche River and to the bridge over the Buffalo River:-
D: cross the concrete bridge and you will see the Hotel on the left and the drive is 300m up the hill on the left. With slightly less gravel road, go through Nqutu (fuel available) following Dundee direction R68 for 5 km. Take the Left signed St Augustine and follow this gravel road ca 15km until you see a taxi station and the sign Zakenhi. Bear left here and go down to the Buffalo River and D.
5. From S Drakensberg, Pietermaritzburg and Durban there are two options:-
5.1 via Greytown, Tugela Ferry (Msinga) and Pomeroy (NB this route is currently a bit tortuous due to unfinished roadworks and possible congestion) on the R33 to the Helpmekaar Ridge where you take the right turn to Camp Buffalo and follow the P190 past Elandsheim and Rorke’s Drift to the right turn to Isandlwana and the Hotel. Alternatively go on to Helpmekaar marked Rorke’s Drift per E 5.2 via the N3 past Estcourt to the exit to Colenso & Bergville. Go past Colenso, cross the Tugela River and over the hills to Ladysmith following signs N11 Newcastle & go through Ladysmith per 3.
1. The GPS is an aid to navigation and the default routing may not be correct for RDH so pls use our directions and a map.
2. There is a Rorke’s Drift Lodge which is not us, nowhere near the river, and you should look for the HOTEL.
3. There is no fuel at Rorke’s Drift so for a peaceful stay please arrive with at least half a tank.
4. For gravel roads pls travel at minimum 60kph to avoid rattling your car to pieces (viz: fly the corrugations) and in order to arrive!
SEE YOU HERE!